Monday, February 28, 2011

From Knowledge to Knowledge-able !

REFLECTION: While reading Wesch "Producers and Consumers: Teens in Digital Age" I connected to it a lot. Attending Providence Public Schools we did a lot of group work. Group work in classes not only help enhance the learning of us students, but it also helped us interact with one another.
Being able to do group work breaks down the assignment and honestly helped me. I feel as though a lot of students benefit from it. Being in college, I would assume we would have more group assignments, group work etc. My Women Studies class is the only class in which I`m able to do so. Most of my classes are , listen to the teacher, look at the teacher - take notes ! - Same routine !
Group work enables students to move more readily from receiving knowledge to generating knowledge. Through talk students are able to personalize this knowledge & their thinking processes and understandings. Why don't all teachers take this into consideration ? Do students really benefit from this ?
"Managing a learning environment such as this poses its own unique challenges, but there is one simple technique, which makes everything else fall into place: love and respect your students and they will love and respect you back. With the underlying feeling of trust and respect this provides, students quickly realize the importance of their role as co-creators of the learning environment and they begin to take responsibility for their own education. "- I Agree very much, being able to feel good about what your learning and the person teaching makes the learning environment better.

2 comments:

  1. "With the underlying feeling of trust and respect this provides, students quickly realize the importance of their role as co-creators of the learning environment and they begin to take responsibility for their own education. "- I Agree very much, being able to feel good about what your learning and the person teaching makes the learning environment better."

    I like your point. It resonates with me. When I feel like I am responsible for something in my classes, my performance is better. That's why I like this blogging thing! It makes us put our thoughts out in the public sphere and get feedback :) great response

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with Clit Crusader it is true being able to feel good about what your learning and the person teaching just make enviroment better.

    ReplyDelete